Ok so I thought I’d get a head start on the 2012 launch of GameSyncUK by posting my top 5 games of 2011 and then the 5 games I’ll be looking out for in 2012. So here it is and counter to what many people do I’m going to start at the top and work my way down.
1. Portal 2 – The single greatest thing to grace the screens of gamers since Half Life in 1998. Yes in parts it gets a little, strange, silly even but it just adds to its charm, I’m probably viewing it through rose tinted glasses just because after Half Life and Counter Strike I fell in love with Valve and everything they do but there really is something about Portal and Portal 2 that is refreshing, it’s the kind of game you sit down and play to unwind, and nowadays that kind of game is a rare treat.
2. Operation Flashpoint: Red River – Follow up to Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, Red River expands at the same time as contracts, it removes the huge expansive map and replaces it with more linear maps like you would see in Medal Of Honor but this works, in the PS3 version of Dragon Rising I felt disappointed that there was so much I could see but I was never aloud to go there, and the time I did there wasn’t anything to see, no random battles except in the places missions would take place. This fat cutting worked and add that to the upgrade system and it created an awesome game. (Full review will be posted in the first few weeks of 2012)
3. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 – With a score by Brian Tyler this really was the emotional ending we all were looking for. Granted it wasn’t the best game and yes I’m still a firm believer that the Call Of Duty series should be based in the pages of history but this trilogy was done right and will stand the test of time. That said there is the underlying feeling as you play it that your not really needed, its like you could just sit behind cover and wait for the noise to stop then walk to the next checkpoint. As if the enemy would wait 5 minutes, get bored and go play Cluedo. In the end though it is a brilliant game, short sweet, greatly improved Spec-Ops and the perfect way to finish the Modern Warfare series.
Battlefield 3 – Battlefield in all its shiny new lens flare glory. The first thing you notice really is how bright everything is, but once you get used to it all is well in the Battlefield world (minus all of the ways but that’s not my point) Ever since Battlefield 2 I’ve been waiting for the next proper Battlefield and this one does not disappoint. Full review will come at the same time as the MW3 review.
4. L.A. Noire – The first trailer was released in all its black and white glory and then for what seemed like forever Rockstar released no information at all. Then all of a sudden BOOM, we were flooded with details on this detective thriller set in an authentic and meticulously recreated 1940’s LA. It is a spectacular game, it has its down sides, like the driving parts can feel a little, detached. But on the whole it’s a good game and was well worth the wait. Rockstar seem set to continue the tradition of releasing games set in and around LA next year with (the suspected release) of GTAV set in Los Santos, the GTA Universe’s answer to present day Los Angeles.
5. Need For Speed: The Run – This is something I’ve wanted since Need For Speed Undercover, a huge epic race. In many senses they achieved it but the lack of a free roam, and very minimal customization means it doesn’t have that old Underground 2 feel which has been missing. I guess its probably for the best that they limited the customization features since everyone would end up in cars from the Fast And Furious series and with Brian Tyler scoring the action it really does feel like an unwritten Fast And Furious movie. But all in all it is a great game and is fun, just hope they bring back open world and full customization in the next one.
So there it is, my top 5 games of 2011 (Yes there’s a joint 3rd that I’m counting as 1). It’s been a hectic ride but we got here and since were on the doorstep of 2012 it really is an open invitation to make lists of the best and worst stuff for the year. So here’s to 2012, a year where it looks likely we will see the next chapter for Gordon Freeman and his trusty crowbar and what the future holds for Los Santos in GTAV. It’s going to get crazy.
Just as a side note all the games were on Playstation3 since currently it’s the only console I have available.